Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Trust Me


Ever feel God wants you to do something, but you have a hundred good reasons why it is a bad idea? I understand.

Earlier this month, Jeremiah was struggling to listen. I had him write down actions that could help him. After going through that exercise, I asked Jeremiah how serious he was about listening and trusting what I asked of him. Of course he responded that he was very serious. So I felt prompted to ask him if he would be willing to give up his DS and trust me that there was something better. He quickly responded that he would. I then asked him to go pack it up in a gift bag. (At this point I had no clue what we would do). His face went pale and he began questioning if I was serious. When he realized I was serious, he began to cry and say that he could not do it. I assured him that I wasn't asking him to do this because he was in trouble, and I understood how difficult it was. I encouraged him to pray about the decision. He prayed and agreed he should do it; however he just felt that he couldn't. His tears flowed and my heart broke, but I didn't feel I should give in just yet. He needed to work through this, and the decision had to be his. I held him as he cried and told him that he could trust me. I was asking him to let go of something good in order to receive something better. We prayed together and then I held him some more as he cried and wrestled with the decision. Then, he lifted his little head, dried up his tears, and said these words "I'll do it. I trust you." I was filled with relief and started to cry.

On Christmas morning, Jeremiah got a new DS and of course was thrilled. He said "You said there would be something better, and I trusted you."

I thought ... 'what a lesson in trust.' I encouraged him to always remember it especially in his relationship with Jesus.

What I didn't realize is that God was teaching me as I was teaching Jeremiah. Over the last few days, there has been something that I have felt God wants me to consider. Much like Jeremiah, I responded with panic and tears. "Are you serious?" I questioned, followed by more tears and more reasons why I just couldn't.

Then today I was reminded of Jeremiah's response. "I'll do it. I trust you."
Just like I knew that a new DS was waiting on Jeremiah if he could just let go, I have to trust God that he knows what is waiting for me if I just trust Him.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11 NIV

I wish I could say that I have surrendered fully: however the truth is I am still crying in His arms trying to make sure I heard correctly. When I know for sure that I heard from Him, I hope I can respond with the faith of a child.  "I'll do it. I'll trust you."

No comments:

Post a Comment