Thursday, January 3, 2013

Lessons from the Sugar Bowl


Those of you who know me know that I’m a huge Florida Gator fan; however this year was a tricky one. No one, me included, expected them to be good so the fact that they made it to the Sugar Bowl was pretty surprising.

If you watched the game, you know there was never a point that I was happy because Florida trailed the whole time. As I sat with arms crossed and biting my lip, I heard one of the commentators give an analysis on Florida's quarterback Derrick Driskel. He said "Driskel keeps hesitating and holds the ball too long."

To give you a little background (if needed), the passing game in football is all about timing. Receivers run a route in a specific pattern so they will become open at a certain time. If the quarterback throws the ball too late the receiver may not be open any more which will result in either an incompletion or even worse an interception.

After hearing the commentators observation of Driskel I thought to myself ‘we do this a lot in everyday life.’ Like Driskel hesitated over the football, we resist doing things we know we should do. Because of fear, doubt, and uncertainty, we end up holding the ball too long. Maybe there is a choice God wants us to make or something He wants us to do. Just like the coaches plan plays and the receivers run routes in football, God, in His infinite wisdom, has an intricate pattern in life called "His will". It too is based on timing. If we hesitate and hold the ball too long we may miss the perfect place God has for us so let the ball fly and trust God for the completion.
Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment